Last week we returned from a Thanksgiving visit and had been away for about 5 days. I took a quick walk around the house to make sure everything was OK and no issues had come up. To my surprise the guest bathroom had water on the floor. I quickly found that the toilet tank was leaking from the hose. I cleaned up the water which wasn’t a lot, so I am guessing it started within the last day. The leak was a small drip every 5 minutes or so. I grabbed a wrench and tightened the hose and the leaked stopped or so I thought. Two days later we came home and again the floor was wet. Same leak as before. I decided to take a look in the tank and realized that the screws holding the tank on were really rusted and the rubber gourmets were almost 100% disintegrated. Although this wasn’t the cause of the leak, it made for an easy decision to replace the toilet in the guest bathroom. I took a look at our other 2 toilets in the house and both showed the same signs as the guest bathroom. I figured I didn’t want to deal with any other small leaks or a bigger water issue in the future.
Off I went to the local hardware store. I already new which toilet I wanted as I had changed them in our old house 2 years ago. I found them along with about 20 other options in the aisle. Having done some homework online before heading out, I decided to stick with what I came for. Located a push cart and loaded 2 new porcelain thrones on it. Yes, only 2, because that is all they had in stock. I also picked 3 new water supply lines figuring it would be a good time to replace these as well. On the way home we stopped at another store and picked up the 3rd toilet. Total cost $435.
Replacing a toilet is fairly straight forward and taking a look at the instructions there are only 10 steps. Here is what I was replacing:
Next, I turned the water off to the toilet and removed all the water from the tank and the bowl. I unbolted the tank and removed it. The bowl itself is held down by 2 bolts, so those were removed and the bowl was now free. Once, the toilet is out of the way, you will want to clean off the old wax ring. This can be a bit sticky depending on how old the ring it. Here is the toilet removed.
Notice the area that they couldn’t reach when they painted the bathroom wall. You can also see the dirt ring around where the toilet meetup with the ground. I cleaned up the dirt ring and put a bag in the sewer pipe. This will help stop the gases from coming back up into the house. I did also paint the small area behind the toilet (no picture of that).
Installing the new toilet in the reserve process. Put a new wax ring on the bottom of the bowl and install the bowl, make sure to line up the wax ring with the sewer pipe. Also, make sure you have removed the plastic bag from the sewer pipe. That would not be good! Bolt the bowl down. The tank can now be attached to the bowl with the provided hardware. Once this is tight, you can hook up and turn on the water. I had to adjust the water levels in each of the tanks by adjust the float system. Last, but not least, install the toilet seat. These are held on by a couple of bolts. The entire process took about a 1 hour per toilet and roughly 3 hours total to do all 3 bathrooms.
Here is one of the new toilets.
Nothing like a new toilet!
Oh and don’t worry I didn’t disturb my dog at all during this process. In fact, he is lounging on the couch across from me as I write this.